What do you do when life gets rough?
Life has it's heavy times. Stretches that make it feel like the good times will never come back around again. But they will.
So what gets you through?
What gets me through is knowing there is a bigger plan at play than I'm aware of. I've had plenty of rough days in my life. Days when the weight on my shoulders seems unbearable. Days where all I can do is crawl in bed at night just to get up and do it all over again. Times when I've felt overwhelmed with grief, loss, sadness, or loneliness. On those days I have to remind myself that I need to get back to the basics.
What are the basics?
The basics include remembering to rely on God for all of your needs. And to throw a little self-care in the mix.
Take care of you.
When I feel overwhelmed it's usually because I'm not doing enough to take care of my own needs. Some of my favorite self-care habits are:
1) Starting the day out with a prayer and a quiet meditation. This is a great way to begin the day and create a positive vibe for your day. Stay positive.
2) Spending time talking to God throughout the day. This helps me feel connected and my soul feels fed.
3) Getting a little bit of an adventure in whether it be a drive in the country, popping into say hi to a loved one or treating yourself to something you've really been wanting like a relaxing massage or a reiki session. Or simply spending time in nature.
4) Checking in with myself by journaling to make sure I'm doing okay and getting out any thoughts or feelings that are weighing on me.
5) And my favorite is taking a hot bath before bedtime. There is nothing better than using yummy smelling bath salts and lighting a few candles to end a rough day.
Give yourself permission for a break.
If you're like me and tend to be a giver more than a receiver, remember it's okay to give to yourself, too. Not only okay, but necessary for your own health and well-being. Do something for yourself this week. Something that will make your eyes sparkle and your soul shine.